Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Why I Blog

The reason I blog about background checking is that there are very few people doing it. There are a number of blogs about closely related issues, but few about this specific industry. The ones that are out there are mostly operated by a company that does background checks in an attempt to drum up business (which I don’t think is necessarily a bad thing), and even if they have the best of intentions it’s hard to take the advice of someone who is paid money to write. Here’s an interesting post about this topic.

I’ve worked in the industry for several years and have found that there are a lot of misconceptions about background checking that are held by employers and “consumers,” or individuals on whom a background check is performed. There are also a lot of bad practices on the part of companies that actually do the background checking, and I hope to expose some of these practices and help employers and individuals make better informed decisions. I don’t have any grand notions about holding the industry accountable with this blog, but I do hope that generating more candid discussion on the Internet about the subject of background checking will save at least a few people from unnecessary stress and headaches.

No comments: